Beef Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish that has been around for centuries. It’s a simple dish of sautéed beef and mushrooms in a flavorful sour cream sauce. The dish is typically served over egg noodles, but can also be served over rice or potatoes.
Beef Stroganoff originates from the mid-1800s, when the wealthy Stroganoff family ran a palace in St. Petersburg, Russia. The dish was created by the family’s chef, who was inspired by a French dish called Beef Burgundy. The dish was quickly adopted by the Russian aristocracy and became popular in homes and restaurants throughout the country.
Beef Stroganoff is a hearty and comforting meal that comes together quickly. The beef is cut into thin strips and sautéed in butter and onions until it’s browned and tender. Sliced mushrooms are added to the pan and cooked until they’re soft and lightly browned. A splash of white wine is added for a bit of acidity, and then the sour cream is stirred in to create the creamy sauce. The egg noodles are cooked just before serving, so they can be tossed in the hot sauce and served immediately.
Beef Stroganoff is a great meal for entertaining or weeknight dinners. It’s easy to make and can be customized with different cuts of beef, mushrooms, and herbs. To add a bit of crunch, feel free to top the dish with toasted breadcrumbs or fried onions.
Beef Stroganoff is a classic dish that will always have a place in Russian cuisine. It’s a simple yet flavorful meal that comes together quickly and will be enjoyed by everyone.
- 1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz.) package sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large bowl, combine the strips of beef, onion, garlic, mushrooms, flour, salt, and paprika. Mix together until the beef is evenly coated.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef mixture and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes, or until the beef is browned and the onions are softened.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
4. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sour cream and parsley. Serve the beef stroganoff over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!