Green curry is one of the most popular and beloved dishes from Thailand. It is a rich and flavorful concoction made with green curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, and a variety of vegetables and other ingredients. The dish is commonly served over rice and is an excellent way to introduce yourself to the culinary delights of Thailand.
The flavor of green curry is unique and complex. The base of the dish is the green curry paste, which is made with a variety of ingredients such as green chilies, garlic, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and shrimp paste. This paste provides the dish with its distinctive flavor and green color. The paste is then combined with coconut milk, fish sauce, and a variety of vegetables such as bamboo shoots, bell peppers, eggplant, and Thai basil.
Green curry can be made with either chicken, beef, shrimp, or tofu. Chicken is the most commonly used, but beef, shrimp, and tofu can also be used for a delicious meal. The vegetables can be added to the dish according to personal preference. The dish is usually served with jasmine rice, which complements the flavor of the curry.
Green curry is a spicy dish, but the heat can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the amount of green curry paste used. It can be served mild, medium, or hot, depending on personal preference. For a milder version, use less curry paste and add more coconut milk. For a spicier version, use more curry paste and add less coconut milk.
Green curry is a dish that is both flavorful and versatile. It can be served as a main course or as a side dish. It can also be served with a variety of accompaniments such as noodles, vegetables, and grilled meats. The dish can be enjoyed hot or cold, and it can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a few days.
Green curry is a delicious and flavorful dish that is sure to please the palates of all who try it. With its unique blend of flavors and ingredients, it is an excellent way to experience the culinary delights of Thailand.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 can (14-ounce) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the curry paste and fry for 3 minutes.
2. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and basil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
4. Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, carrots, snow peas, zucchini, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve over cooked rice or noodles. Enjoy!