When it comes to comfort food, Spicy Mexican Soup is a classic. This flavorful soup is the perfect balance of spicy, salty and savory, and it’s sure to warm you up on a chilly day. It’s also an easy meal to make and can be easily adjusted to your desired spice level.
This Mexican soup recipe is made with simple ingredients like chicken, tomatoes, jalapeno, onions and cilantro. The key to making this soup spicy is to add jalapeno peppers. If you’re looking for a milder version, you can leave out the jalapeno peppers or reduce the amount of peppers you add.
To make the soup, begin by heating a large pot over medium-high heat. Add some oil and diced onions and cook for about 3 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent. Then, add the diced chicken and cook for about 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Next, add the diced jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring often.
Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. Bring the soup to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed.
When the soup is ready, ladle it into bowls and top with shredded cheese, diced avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with warm tortillas and a dollop of sour cream.
Spicy Mexican Soup is a delicious and flavorful soup that’s sure to warm you up on a chilly day. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a delicious and healthy meal in no time. Whether you’re looking for a milder version or something spicier, this soup is sure to be a hit with everyone in the family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil-
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapenos and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the cumin, chili powder, and oregano and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, black beans, corn, green chiles, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the cilantro and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and cheddar cheese. Serve warm.